Sunday, September 15, 2013

A Resolution

I have an amazing, supportive and helpful (not to mention very good looking!) husband. He is such a good sport about changing diapers, giving baths and getting up in the middle of the night. Even though I have so much help I can't help but notice how I've put his and James' needs above mine for the last 5 months. Not that taking care of my family is a bad thing, I thoroughly enjoy grocery shopping, as I think of the meals I am planning that he will love. I love making our bed; creating an oasis for us to collapse into at the end of each long day. I enjoy folding his laundry because I know how much he appreciates the little things. But what do I do for myself? Is my ten minute shower in a rush to shave my legs and scrape the spit up out of my hair enough? Am I taking enough time for myself, to have enough to GIVE to my family? I have a new goal. A resolution, if you will. 

Once a day: I will take 15 minutes for me. To do a mini pedicure, to take a bath, to paint my nails, to read a magazine. The dishes can wait. Glorious naptime might be the only time I have, but instead of stressing about what I "SHOULD" be doing, I will take a few moments to revive myself.

Once a week: I will take a day to enjoy my family for who they are. We will go for a walk, go to church, go to get ice cream, go for a drive. Whatever we decide to do, I will jump on the opportunity to enjoy my family while I can!

Once a month: I will date my husband. We will be adults. We will remember why we love each other by spending sometime without children. This may be after James is in bed and we stay in, it may require a babysitter as we go out. As long as I can spend some quality time with the man I love, I will be thrilled!

I am not trying to be selfish by doing these things, and if I miss one during a particularly busy week, so be it! 

Just like in our walk with Christ, we need to be poured into regularly before we can effectively pour ourselves out to those we serve! I feel that I will be a better mom and wife if I make a few changes in my schedule. 

I challenge you, moms, wives, grandmas, employees, aunts. I challenge EACH of you to take a few moments for yourself and decide what will make you a better and more effective person. What will help you reach your fullest potential? What will enable you to better serve the ones you love? 

Especially on days like this: 

(Mother's Day 2013)


Love that little boy! Tears and all! :) 

Happy Sunday!
-Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment