Thursday, January 8, 2015

High Altitude [Banana Bread]

After moving to western Wyoming, there were a few things that really highlighted just how much higher we are in altitude than where we lived in ND.
1. the feeling (which i assure you was DEATH) that I felt when I attended my first Zumba class. I was in shape, had been at the gym daily and when we moved I seriously thought "oh my gosh I need a lung transplant because clearly mine are NOT doing their job!!"

2. the sudden jolting awake in the middle of the night gasping for air. yeah, talk about freaky. This happened to me (and my dear husband) for the better part of two months before we confessed to each other and decided it was our lack of oxygen and recent move.

3. the glob of "banana bread" that slimed through my cooling rack half an hour before I was supposed to bring treats to church... yeah. "Hi, I'm Paige, and I can't bake!"

While the first two were bothersome, the last one just would not fly. My family loves banana bread, so I needed to figure out a fix ASAP! 

My old recipe still lingers in my cook book, but I have found a new recipe that has yet to fail me at 6900 feet!

I enlisted the help of the cutest kitchen assistant on the planet, of course!




    



I totally spaced taking pictures of the finished muffins and bread.

Here is the recipe, for all my friends in high altitude places:

High Altitude Banana Bread
4 TBS Butter
2 Eggs
2-3 Ripe Bananas
2/3 C. Sugar
1 1/3 C. Flour
3/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Baking Powder

Optional:
Splash of vanilla extract
Chocolate Chips
Nuts 

be sure to grease your pan of choice and pop it in at 350 degrees for around 50 minutes.

IMPORTANT:
The bake time is very ballpark. I don't think I have ever actually left it (muffins, mini muffins OR loaf) in for the full time. Once I hit 30 minutes, I usually poke it with a knife or toothpick and use my judgement for how much longer to bake!

I usually double, if not triple the recipe and it turns out great!

I also just dump everything in my mixer. I don't separate dry/wet ingredients.

Happy Baking!
~Paige 





No comments:

Post a Comment